All students in the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and Master of Science in Health Care Administration programs are required to fulfill the internship requirement. To complete the internship requirement, students can take PPA 6860 (Internship) or PPA 6850 (Individual Graduate Study), or apply for an internship waiver.
To take PPA 6860 (Internship) or PPA 6850 (Individual Graduate Study), students must be fully classified (must have completed the foundation courses or been admitted fully classified).
- For PPA 6860, the student should intern for a minimum of 200 hours at a government agency, healthcare or nonprofit organization. Additionally, the student must submit an internship portfolio by the end of the internship in order to receive credits. The portfolio includes a) a summary of the student's internship activities; b) sample projects; c) a reflective essay that describes and critiques the internship experience and discusses how it is related to the coursework and the student's academic and career goals; d) student's self-evaluation; e) internship site supervisor evaluation; and f) time log. The Internship Advisor will review the student's internship portfolio before assigning credits. Information on available internships is available at https://bpa.csub.edu/menus/internships.html Please contact Dr. Jinping Sun (654-6217; firstname.lastname@example.org) about MPA internships, Dr. BJ Moore (654-3026; email@example.com) about internships in health care, and Dr. Thomas Martinez (654-3064; firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding the internships through the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
- The internship can also be imbedded in PPA 6850 (Individual Graduate Study). In this case, the student should work closely with a faculty advisor to select a project, have regular meetings, and complete a written report.
The internship requirement may be waived if a student meets one of the following criteria:
- at least one year of experience in a supervisory or managerial role in a public, health-care, or nonprofit organization;
- at least one year of experience as a specialist whose work is important to the public sector (example: consultant to a city department); or
- at least one year of experience in a supervisory or managerial role in the private sector. The student should show clearly how public administration education enabled him/her to become a better professional.
To apply for the internship waiver, the student should provide relevant documentation (including a letter, a copy of their current resume, and a list of at least three references) to show clearly why he/she is qualified for the waiver and how public administration education enabled him/her to become a better professional. The MPA Director, along with the other PPA faculty, will evaluate the case and determine whether or not to grant the internship waiver. For detailed information, please contact Dr. Martinez at 661-654-3064 or by email at email@example.com.
A County Department: 2 students
A state department or agency: 1 student
A department at a state University: 1 student
A nonprofit organization: 2 students